the gold-rush and the Mexican War
During the presidency of Zachary Taylor, California experienced two major things. One of them was the Mexican War, and the other one was the gold-rush. The Mexican War ended in win for the United States, meaning that California was incorporated into the territory of the United States, which quickly changed the region. Also, immediately after the war, the famous gold-rush happened in California. Gold was discovered in parts of California, and now being part of the United States, lot of people from the other states and from abroad moved in there, with the purpose of finding sufficient amount of gold and become rich. That resulted in the formation of numerous settlements in California, later becoming towns and cities.
The California gold rush during 1848-1855.
Because of the tectonic plates
California has a relatively high number of earthquakes due to its position on both the Pacific and North American Plates. These plates are in constant motion, and earthquakes occur when their sides slip against one another suddenly. Florida, on the other hand, is not on the boundary of a tectonic plate, so it does not experience earthquakes as often.
1. Industry vs Farming, Bleeding Kansas, and State’s Rights
2. In an attempt to prevent a civil war, Congress enacted a series of laws that became known as the Compromise of 1850.
3. 1) maintained congressional balance in the Senate, 2) allowed for certain new territories to be slave states, and 3) allowed certain new territories to be non-slavery states.
4. California adopted an antislavery state constitution, and applied for admission into the Union as a free state.
5. (1) California was admitted to the Union as a free state; (2) the remainder of the Mexican cession was divided into the two territories of New Mexico and Utah and organized without mention of slavery; (3) the claim of Texas to a portion of New Mexico was satisfied by a payment of $10 million
6. A tax placed on an imported product to generate revenue.
7. They were in favor of raising them